Ankle Sprains are annoying since they occur randomly when you are not careful. They can cause minor or severe pain and may become a frequent occurrence!
Ankle sprains are a common injury and frequently effect athletes due to the high levels of stress and quick movements they perform on a regular basis. They occur when the ligaments around the ankle stretch or tear as your ankle moves in an awkward manner. The unnatural angle that results to your ankle will produce pain. An ankle sprain can occur because there are multiple ligaments that hold the bones of your feet in place, and the ones on the outside of your ankle are most susceptible to spraining. Moreover, the ligaments on the inside of the ankle are sturdier and do not sprain as often. Proper treatment is very crucial as one sprain can lead to another, each time weakening the overall stability of your ankle. There is a high risk among athletes who partake in extreme sports.
Treatment for this condition includes:
- You should keep your sprained ankle elevated to avoid swelling.
- Try to wrap the sprained ankle with a bandage so that the pressure from inflammation can be reduced.
- Ice packs tend to reduce inflammation.
- Getting long periods of rest are particularly helpful for speeding up the recovery process.
- Use ankle exercises to help the injured ankle ligament strengthen and to provide support in future twists.
Here at Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers, our foot doctors, Anthony Benenati, DPM, Neil Shaw, DPM, Julie Mrozek, DPM and Adam Thompson, DPM, can provide you with expert treatment. We’ll give your ankles the best chance of a lasting recovery so that they do not sprain on a frequent basis. Please contact us to schedule an appointment. We have offices conveniently located in Saint Clair Shores, Warren and Macomb, MI. Also, we have an outstanding Patient Education library which includes additional information about the nature of ankle sprains and treatment information that we can render to you.