Foot odor is a condition that can ruin your social life as well as your health. Smelly feet can be controlled with a few extra steps in your day, but let’s start with some facts. The way your perspiration interacts with the bacteria that lives in your shoes is the biggest factor. It can lead to other complications like infection and fungal problems. Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Center understands this embarrassing foot problem and can offer some suggestions to help.
Simple Ways to Prevent Foot Odor:
- Always wear socks with closed toe shoes and don’t wear the same pair each day.
- Give your feet a chance to breathe by alternating your shoes every other day.
- Bathe your feet daily in lukewarm water with a mild soap and dry thoroughly
- Dust your feet often with a non-medicated powder before putting on your shoes.
- Use thick soft socks to help with moisture absorption and change them often throughout the day if they become too wet.
- Stay away from nylon socks or plastic shoes as they do not allow much space for your feet to release their moisture.
Practice good foot hygiene to help keep bacteria out and dryness in.
Check for fungal infections often to avoid further issues.
Remedies for Foot Odor:
- Soak your feet in black tea for 30 minutes a day and the acid in the tea kills unwanted bacteria.
- Apply antibacterial ointment cream before bedtime.
- Clean your feet with a pumice stone daily.
- Soak your feet in salt water in a large bowl for about 20 minutes a day.
- Sprinkle corn starch into your shoes to help absorb the moisture.
- Pick cotton socks over nylon so that your feet can breathe.
- Foot anti-perspirant can work the same for your feet as it does your underarms. They make some made especially for feet.
If odor doesn’t leave you alone, then you may suffer from Hyperhidrosis, a condition which is inherited and causes excessive sweating in the feet and hands. Or you could change your hygiene habits with some simple and reasonable solutions. Call Anthony Benenati, DPM at 586-779-6140 to schedule an appointment now so your foot odor doesn’t knock out your social life this Summer!