An Ankle Fracture can happen when the bones of your ankle joint suffer a break. Without appropriate care, ankle fractures can cause other complications such as arthritis.
Ankle fractures occur when there is an increased amount of pressure put on them. Factors that lead to a higher chance of this are rolling of your ankles or severe trauma from a fall. You must be careful when an ankle fracture is sustained since proper recovery is imperative to ensure an ankle that is strong and stable going forward.
You also don’t want an infection from an open wound or incomplete healing if you do not exercise proper care. Pain from casts or blood clots that hinder blood flow to vital parts of the body may cause other problems you surely do not want.
Treatment for this condition includes:
- You may need a cast to keep the ankle in an immobile position during the healing process.
- Keep pressure off of the injured ankle and refrain from bearing weight on your injured ankle.
- Take part in physical therapy to help strengthen the ankle.
- Use medications to reduce pain and to control infections.
- Surgery may be required to realign bones before a splint can be used. This is especially necessary if a portion of the ankle bone pierces out of the skin from a bad fracture.
Here at Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers, our foot doctors, Anthony Benenati, DPM, Neil Shaw, DPM, Julie Mrozek, DPM and Adam Thompson, DPM can exercise due care and provide outstanding treatment with a quick and meaningful recovery. If your ankle has sustained a fracture, contact us to make an appointment today! We have offices conveniently located in Saint Clair Shores, Warren and Macomb, MI. We strive to provide the best podiatry services available and welcome the opportunity to help you heal in the best manner possible! Also, please check out our Patient Education section for additional information about this and other foot and ankle injuries so that you can avoid possible complications in the future.