At Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers, we know that “back to school” in Macomb County is going to be much different this fall. One thing that won’t change however, is the need for new shoes. Did you know that wearing shoes that fit properly and are well-designed is one of the top factors in promoting good podiatric health in children? Below are six tips to help ensure you get the right shoes for your child.
- Take a Measurement. The first step in successful shoe shopping is getting the correct size. Have your child’s feet professionally measured. It’s not unusual for one foot to be bigger than the other—always buy shoes that accommodate the larger foot.
- Shop Late. Feet are their most swollen after walking around on them all day. By shopping later in the afternoon or evening, you ensure shoes will feel comfortable all day long.
- Skip Hand Me Downs. Yes, it’s tempting to save money by using shoes that have been gently worn rather than buying new. But shoes mold to the foot of their wearer and tendencies like overpronating or hitting hard on the heel will be reflected in the shoe and could cause harm to your child’s feet.
- Choose Function over Form. There have been many shoe fads (think plastic shoes, clogs) that have not been very good for our feet! Give your child choices where possible in color and style but pick shoes that have features that promote foot health, including, good arch support, firm heel counter, no-slip treads, and cushioned insoles.
- Do Your Homework. Know before you go what sports your child is interested in playing. Today’s shoes are designed for the motion required by a specific sport.
- Don’t Rush. Make sure your child tries on both shoes and spends several minutes walking around the store before finalizing your purchase. For younger children, inspect their feet for red marks where shoes may be rubbing.
If your child is experiencing any foot or ankle pain, feelings of tiredness in their feet or lower legs, or other uncomfortable symptoms, make an appointment at our Macomb (586) 416-3668, St. Clair Shores (586) 779-6140 or Warren (586) 756-3338 office before you shop. Our podiatrists, Dr. Anthony Benenati, Dr. Neil Shaw, and Dr. Philip M. Watkins will want to examine your child’s feet to assess their current condition. The foot doctor may make recommendations regarding shoe styles that will be most beneficial for your child.