Are you someone who’s tried every treatment in the book but just can’t get rid of your toenail fungus? Do you hate that noticeable thick, yellow and unsightly toenail? Want to sport those summer flip-flops, but without the embarrassment? Then it’s time you turned to Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers with locations in Saint Clair Shores, Warren and Macomb, MI to tackle your toenail fungus with the Cutera GenesisPlus Laser System.
If you are dealing with toenail fungus and looking for a safe and effective way to eliminate your infection, then it’s time to consider Cutera GenesisPlus Laser. This powerful, FDA-cleared system has a high success rate. While there are other lasers on the market, they don’t offer a large enough spot size (only around 1mm), which means that it’s more likely for a podiatrist to miss some of the areas on the nail that needs to be treated. By using the Cutera GenesisPlus Laser, which offers a 5mm spot size, our foot doctors are able to offer higher success rates when it comes to targeting and eliminating the entire fungal infection. The laser works by heating up the skin beneath the infected nail, killing the fungus.
Since the Cutera’s laser offers a larger spot size than other fungal laser treatments on the market, this also means a shorter treatment session. While the procedure is painless and non-invasive, we know that our patients want to get back to their lives and don’t want to spend long periods of time in the doctor’s office. By using the Cutera GenesisPlus Laser for treating and eliminating your toenail fungal infection, we can often perform this entire treatment in 15 minutes, compared to the typical 40 minutes to 1 hour with other laser options.
With a laser treatment that usually needs to be performed only once, is faster, more efficient and reliable, this leaves you not only with healthy feet but a cost-effective treatment. As the nail grows out, you will begin to see a clearer and healthier nail. You may begin to see results after one treatment, though additional treatments may be required depending on the severity of the fungal infection.
If you want to be able to wear sandals or show off your feet without feeling self-conscious, then Cutera GenesisPlus Laser could be the ideal fungal treatment for you. Turn to Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers and schedule an appointment at our Saint Clair Shores, Warren or Macomb, MI, office today.
It’s sandal season and pedicures are in high demand. Everyone wants their toes to look presentable for the summer but no one needs a fungal infection as a result. Primping our feet is important for good health as well as appearance so we have listed some helpful tips to keep your feet pretty and healthy all season.
Planning & Preventing
- Tools: Bring your own sanitized tools from home – this will reduce risk of fungal infection because you know they were already sterilized and not previously used by a stranger.
- Shaving: Shave legs the day before your pedicure. A razor can leave mild abrasions that you cannot notice easily so allow a day for your pores to recover.
- Timing: Schedule your appointment first thing in the morning when the salon opens. The foot tubs will likely be at their cleanest and this simple step could prevent bacteria from transferring to your feet or toe nails.
- Clipping: Make certain that your pedicurist cuts your toenails straight across the top with your toenail clipper - any other style will increase risk of injuring your nail which can then let bacteria in quickly.
- Cleaning: Be sure that your cuticle tool is rubber or wood to remove dirt and push back your cuticle. Metal tools can increase injury risk.
If you think you may have a fungal infection and notice any of the following symptoms call Anthony Benenati, DPM for an evaluation:
- Discoloration under the nail- often black, green or yellow
- Thickened and rough nail surface
- Odor that can be very noticeable and indicates infection
- Weakness around the edges of the nailappointment.
Nail fungus can take some time to heal and other problems can arise from a simple infection like losing the nail. If over the counter creams or home remedies do not give you full relief be sure to call us at 586-779-6140 and make an appointment. We have other forms of treatment in our office that could correct the nail permanently without further damage or discomfort. Keeping fungus under control will help the infection from recurring or spreading to other areas of your foot beyond your nail.
Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers has a dedicated team in Saint Clair Shores, Warren and Macomb Michigan and can handle all your podiatry needs.
Plantar warts are benign growths that develop on the bottom of your feet, and are caused by direct contact with the human papilloma virus (HPV). This is the same virus that causes warts on other areas of the body. Some people are more susceptible than others to HPV, and not everyone will develop plantar warts if they come into contact with the virus. Individuals with weak immune systems or damaged skin on the feet are at a higher risk for plantar warts.
Plantar warts most often develop on the weight-bearing areas of the foot - the heel or the ball of the foot - causing sharp, burning pain. They can appear as a single wart (solitary) or a cluster of warts (mosaic). Common symptoms may include:
- Pain or discomfort when walking or standing
- Thick, scaly skin that often resembles a callus
- Hard, flat growths with well-defined boundaries
- Tiny black specks (clotted blood vessels) that often appear on the surface of the wart
Most warts disappear with home care and do not require medical treatment. You can take steps to prevent and treat plantar warts, which include:
- Changing your shoes and socks daily
- Keeping your feet clean and dry
- Avoid picking at warts as the virus may spread
- Avoid direct contact with an individual who has plantar warts
- Checking your child's feet periodically
- Refrain from walking barefoot, especially in public areas like showers, swimming pools and locker rooms
- Never ignore skin growths or changes in your skin
You should always seek care from a podiatrist when warts interfere with your daily life, aren't responding to home treatments, or if you have circulatory disorders. Contact us if your warts:
- Change color or shape
- Cause unbearable pain and discomfort
- Interfere with activities
- Multiply or reappear
Without treatment, plantar warts can grow, spread and prompt new warts to grow as fast as the old ones disappear. If you can't confidently identify a growth on your foot, visit your podiatrist to ensure a correct diagnosis. Early diagnosis and treatment can decrease the risk of the wart spreading and multiplying.
Summer is almost here and perhaps you haven’t made your health goals of getting into shape over the winter. If you have joined a gym and are increasing your weekly aerobic exercise to shed those unwanted pounds you may want to educate yourself on foot fitness before tackling the challenge. Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Centers understands foot health and specializes in a plethora of podiatric ailments.
Stay on track!
- You can easily develop some minor ailments that will slow you down and could potentially interrupt your flow if you aren’t careful. For example; Blisters, Corns, Calluses, Athlete’s Foot and Heel Pain
Warm those muscles!
- Stand flat foot on the ground and hold on to a sturdy surface. With your feet beside each other rock your feet forward and backward as far as your muscles will allow without straining yourself.
- Standing up straight with your feet beside each other, take your right toe and place it beside the heel of your left foot and softly push forward towards the floor to gently stretch your arch.
- Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the ground directly in front of you. Lift your leg off the ground (one at a time) and make circles in the air by using your big toe as the focal point. Move for 20 to 30 seconds in clockwise direction. Repeat with other foot.
- Fluid moves that slowly extend your range of motion gives your tissues energy and improves your coordination so you are less likely to fall. If you lack coordination for a certain class you should find one that suits your ability and gain experience first. After you have achieved some new goals then go back and try that class again.
Go slow to start!
- Increase intensity as your body gets warm and flexible. If you are tired and jump in too quickly your energy will drain quickly and you will feel defeated. Adapt yourself to the exercise you are doing and you will be more likely to relax and do it correctly.
These points eventually lead to less injuries and better performance which leads to making your goal. If you are thinking of trying a more intense routine contact Anthony Benenati,DPM and make an appointment first. We have three locations, Saint Clair Shores, Warren or Macomb Michigan. A foot examination before you start your new work out plan would be very wise since fitness starts with your feet!
If the answer is no, then it’s time for a pedicure! But beware of the fungi lurching in your attendant’s tools. The salon may be clean but the tools may not. Fungal nail can be tough to treat but Benenati Foot & Ankle Care Center understands podiatric treatment and has plenty of remedies to make sure your feet are ready for the beach this year. Before you try the heavy weight, anti-fungal treatments try some oily solutions first.
5 Oils that will kick out the Fungi…
Tea Tree Oil ~ an antiseptic and fungicidal natural medicine. Rub the oil into the nail and let it soak in, about ten minutes after you can gently scrub the nail with a soft bristle toothbrush. Try this daily until the new nail grows all the way in and continue for three more days to prevent it from coming back.
Orange Oil ~ a natural anti-fungal that will cure infection. Use a dropper to apply the oil on the nails and between the toes too. Let this one soak in for an hour or more. Since this is a very potent oil you may want to test it on your skin for allergies first.
Coconut Oil ~ this has caprylic acid, one of the medium chain of fatty acids in coconut oil which can penetrate the fungi. Soak it in for about fifteen minutes. There is no limit to how often you can use this for treatment.
Oregano Oil ~ this herb has anti-fungal properties so its oil is even better. Apply it to the nail and let it soak in, this one can be left on for the day.
Lavender Oil ~ smells nice and is good for mild cases of fungi. Apply a few drops to the nail every night and let it soak in while you sleep. To prevent the oil from rubbing off, cover your feet with wool socks. Keep up with this treatment a few weeks after to ensure the fungi is dead.
With this variety of oils to remedy your nail fungus we suspect your feet are probably glistening by now! However, if you suspect fungal nail is still pestering your toes call Anthony Benenati DPM at 586-779-6140 for an appointment . Try one of our locations in St. Claire Shores, Warren or Macomb Michigan. Let us get your feet back in shape for the beach!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.